Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jackisms

These are not the funniest things I've ever heard when taken out of context, but he keeps us laughing daily.


--Jack is getting really good at his letters and recognizing different sounds and words. For example:

Mom: Let's get a fruity drink at the gas station.
Jack: Fruity drink, that's like fruit snacks or fruit bowl.

Mom: I rode the tram to Crown Center.
Jack: T-t-tram. That's like train or tree, right Mom?


--He's also into recognizing everyone for their involvement.
Jack: Mom, did you make this bread?
Mom: Yes.
Jack: You did a good job, Mom. Thanks for doing that.


--Jack is really into taking people at their word. He's very literal these days. And has a memory like an elephant. We often hear things like "Mom, you said I could play after dinner. Right, Mom?" Well, the next one has come back to bite us a lot lately...

We told Jack he could only play with our iPods in the car when it was dark outside (meaning night time).
Jack: It's couple of dark outside, Mom. Can I see the iPod (pronounced ah-pod) now? (it's about 8 in the morning--not that dark)
Mom: It's not that dark. Let's talk about something instead.
Jack: I don't want to talk right now. People in their other cars aren't talking; they are just driving. I can have the iPod 'cause it's dark, right Mom?

What can you say to that?


--He's also started to put his toys in time out "if you aren't going to listen to your Mom and Dad" or telling his toys "you don't get a cookie 'cause you didn't eat good dinner."


--And two particularly sad stories:
1. Jack is sans-pullup at bedtime now, with an occasional accident. The other morning, I walked in to find him pulling all the blankets off the bed.
Mom: Jack, what are you doing?
Jack: I think the blankets are wet from the washing machine, Mom.
Mom: Did you have an accident?
Jack: No, Mom. They are from the washing machine.
Mom: And the sheets? Why are they wet?
Jack: From the washing machine, Mom.
Mom: And your pajamas?
Jack: I was sitting on the sheet, Mom.
Mom: I know you are trying really hard, but are you sure you didn't have an accident?
Jack: I think it was the washing machine. But I might have had an accident.

2. Jack was up roaming his room the other night. Then crying erupted. We walked in to find him with only a pajama shirt on, no underwear or pants, crying in his bed.
Mom: What's wrong, Jack? And where are your clothes?
Jack (with tears): I was looking, and looking, and looking and I couldn't find my new pants. (sob)

Come to find out, he had had a very small accident and tried to clean himself up (which he's getting good at doing). I had put underwear in his pants drawer so he could dress himself, but there were no PJ pants in that drawer. He apparently knew he needed PJ pants and couldn't find any (in the dark, might I add), and that was too much to take.


--He's also taken to using phrases like "I've been thinking about that...," "I've got an idea...," "I'll keep my eye out for that," and "I'll do my best." It's always surprising to hear yourself in him.


He's so loveable. I think we'll keep him. Most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment