Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A new sport

With the start of middle school
came the opportunity to try new things.
Well, at least in a normal year.
However, the sports teams got the go-ahead
and Mom and Dad thought cross country
would be a great way for me to meet some new friends
and get involved at school.
I begrudged agreed.

So after 3 weeks of practice,
today is my first meet 

Neither Mom nor Dad ran cross country
(neither of them liked running until the last few years)
so all of this was new to us.
Then you add in COVID and, well,
we're just winging it.

My family figured out where to get a view
of the starting line...

they donned their masks
and waited for the start...

and off we went!

We made some zigs and zags around the school
and my family lost track of me for a bit.
Full disclosure, they thought I was one of the 
last few BCMS runners for a bit.
Given our complete lack of experience,
my only goal for this meet was to not come in last.
So you can see how they might be looking for me back there.

But NO!

I was rocking it!
I passed all sorts of kids
including my running friends.

Pushing it to the end...

I came in 17th in my heat,
running 1.3 miles in 11:26.8.
My new PR.
And the best part?
I liked it!
Maybe I found my sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment